Building was built in 1922 by Wiley W. Lowrey
The Lowrey family came from Water Valley, Mississippi where Wiley W. Lowrey was in real estate.
The Hotel Lowrey was built on prime real estate property between the KSC and Frisco railroad lines.
The hotel was built with a cement roof to accommodate two additional floors, which were never constructed.
The hotel was Air Cooled and each room had a private bath.
The second story mezzanine overlooks the main lobby and the coffee shop and dinning room.
This mezzanine was used for private dinning, private parties, and a place where the local school choirs would serenade the diners.
The individual rooms on the second and third floors all had adjoining baths.
These bathrooms were tiled in ceramic tiles from a tile company the Lowreys purchased.
Most of the original tile remains.
There were electric lights in each room.
The second floor has public showers for the train travelers who wished to clean up while waiting for a train connection.
The hotel featured air cooled rooms, a dining room and coffee shop, public showers and restrooms, a barbershop, and retail shops.
Still intact are the laundry chute, dumb waiter, public telephone booth.
The furnishings were turn of the century period.
The interior style of the hotel was an art deco/Mediterranean motif.
The hotel ceased to operate as a hotel in the 1960. Until that time it was managed by Mrs. George and Mrs. Romaine.
Since closing as a hotel the building has served as a dormitory for college students, offices for the OSU extension division, office space for doctors, lawyers and county offices.